On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:47:55 BST, Matthew Toseland said:

> lvcreate -n <snapshotname> -L 500M -v /dev/<vgname>/<partition name>

You missed the -s flag.  From 'man lvcreate' (LVM 1.0.3):

-s, --snapshot
  Create  a  snapshot  logical  volume  (or snapshot) for an existing, so
  called original  logical  volume  (or  origin).   Snapshots  provide  a
  'frozen image' of the contents of the origin while the origin can still
  be updated. They enable  consistent  backups  and  online  recovery  of
  removed/overwritten  data/files.  The  snapshot  does not need the same
  amount of storage the origin has. In a typical scenario,  15-20%  might
  be enough. In case the snapshot runs out of storage, use lvextend(8) to
  grow it. Shrinking a snapshot is supported by lvreduce(8) as well.  Run
  lvdisplay(8)  on  the snapshot in order to check how much data is allo­
  cated to it.

> dd if=/dev/<vgname>/snapshotname of=/usr/local/temp/snapshot.img bs=1M
> lvremove -f /dev/<vgname>/snapshotname

The rest of this looks OK (although I've *NOT* tried it myself).  I'm not
sure what the granularity of the snapshot is - whether you need to allocate
space for each block that's modified, or each 4M segment, or what...

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer