On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 09:59, Hans Reiser wrote:
> > There were a few bugs of ours that acted as red herrings, but Linspire
> > is now up and running on this system with ReiserFS 3 and kernel 2.6.5.
> >
> > While I'm here, I have some other questions:
> >
> >     * What is the time complexity of mounting a ReiserFS partition?
> >       It seems to be proportional to the size of the partition?  Is it
> >       different for Reiser4?
> >     * Is there a tool to determine the type of file system on a
> >       partition without mounting it?
> >
> is the time a problem in practice, or just a curiousity point?

Hans,

        The last place I worked had a 2.5TB RAID array that had 10's of
millions of files on it, basically a perfect fit for ReiserFS. However
they rejected it simply because of the mount times. It was a slower
machine (mainly used for dumb storage, however uptime was critical) but
the mount times were just crazy, I don't have hard numbers, but if I
recall correctly I was told around 5-10 minutes.

Basically it made it so just kernel upgrades due to newly found exploits
in a single year had the potential to breach the SLA's we had with
customers, simply due to ReiserFS mount times. :(

Obviously RAID arrays are getting larger and larger these days, uptime
is critical, and reboots are a part of life when it comes to security
and being on the internet. If ReiserFS V4's mount time is proportional
to the size of the partition, I can see that being a huge concern for a
lot of people. Especially people in large data centers where SLA's are
signed with every customer, and minutes of downtime could mean writing
cheques to customers.

It would be a shame to see a masterpiece like ReiserFS V4 be rejected in
large storage situations due to something as trivial as mount times. Is
there anything that can be done to speed up mount times on ReiserFS's V3
or V4?

Thanks.