Hello

On Monday 04 September 2006 23:26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am observing the following Reiser failure:
>
>   I am trying to use camorama with a Creative WebCam Live spca5xx driver
> (recently downloaded and compiled) . Camorama does not start and computer
> freezes (no response to mouse, or keyboard. Can't change to terminal
> window.
>
>   Reset or pull plug leaves Knoppix 5.0.1-DVD unbootable:
>
>   The actual message from GRUB is inconsistent filesystem?! From a boot
> loader?

after unclean shutdown journal reply is necessary to return reiserfs to
consistent state. Maybe GRUB did not do that?

>   The 'fix' is even stranger. I execute fsck.reiserfs from another OS
> partition on the Knoppix 5.0.1-DVD partition (takes forever).

Did fsck complete? What did it report?

> Somehow
> 'reading' the Knoppix filesystem 'fixes' whatever was preventing Knoppix
> 5.0.1-DVD from booting.

fsck replayed the journal.
Does camorama work now?

If it still causes computer freeze - can you please install serial or network
console and try to catch what does kernel output when it freezes.