On 30-May-07, at 10:25 AM, David Masover wrote:

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 07:36:13 Toby Thain wrote:

but you can't
mention using reiserfs in mixed company without someone accusing
you of
throwing your data away.

People who repeat this rarely have any direct experience of Reiser;
they repeat what they've heard; like all myths and legends they are
transmitted orally rather than based on scientific observation.

Well, there is one problem I vaguely remember that I don't think has been addressed, I think it was one of those lets-put-it-off-till-v4 things. It was the fact that there are a limited number of inodes (or keys, or whatever you
call a unique file),

But does it cause data loss? One usually sees claims that "reiserfs ate my data", or "I heard reiserfs ate somebody's data", but without supplying a root cause - bad memory? powerfail? bad disk? etc.

and no way of knowing how many you have left until your
FS will suddenly, one day refuse to create another file.

... switching away from Reiser4
means I no longer see random files (including stuff in, for example, /sbin,
that I hadn't touched in months) go up in smoke.

I only wish sanity had prevailed over kernel inclusion, then we'd see it shaken down a lot quicker, like R3 was.

Ordinarily I like to help debug things, but not at the risk of my data. Maybe I'll try again later, and see if I can reproduce it in a VM or somewhere
safe...

I do still follow the list, though, in case something interesting happens.

Yeah, R4 is "something interesting". :) I still hope it gets finished...

--Toby

It
was fun while it lasted!