<tl;dr>: I probably still don't agree but feel free to move the release
date. I don't want to block stuff on my personal understanding / views.

On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 09:37 -0700, Britt Yazel wrote:
> @Andre, as Rosanna pointed out, from a purely practical standpoint do
> we really want our release announcements on social media to be
> sandwiched between 9/11 memorial posts? That takes the wind out of
> our sails pretty heavily if the goal of our Engagement and marketing
> teams is to raise excitement.

I guess that my (and many others') social media is not full of 9/11
memorial posts as stuff that I follow is not that USA-focused.

> The other side of the coin is this, when chosing release dates, we
> ~should~ try to choose dates that don't have a heavy negative
> connotation. This isn't an America vs everyone else argument, I'd
> make the same point if we were asking to release the build on April
> 15th (the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre), etc.

(Interesting... that would have been June 4th for me instead.)

> A quick Google search of September 11th brings you to tens of
> thousands of pages talking about terrorism and war.

At first I wondered why someone would google a specific date when
reading a GNOME release announcement for that date, but I guess your
point is that people communicate about that topic on that date.

> And yes, any day of the year can and will be offensive to release a
> new version on for someone somewhere, but dates like 9/11 will
> absolutely be offensive to millions, guaranteed.

Would that in consequence mean that we should have a calendar with no-
go release dates? Because if we go down that road I seriously wonder
which other dates I should avoid when creating a release schedule.

> So my argument is this. Even if you don't care about the mourning and
> negative connotation that people have with that particular date,
> purely practically, why would we willingly overshadow our own
> release?

I'm fine with moving the release date if people think that's better.

Cheers,
andre

--
Andre Klapper  |  ak...@gmx.net