On Friday, 21 October 2022 11:44:12 CEST, Harald Sitter wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:52 AM Antonio Rojas <aro...@archlinux.org> wrote:
Hi,

plasma-workspace-1.0.0.25.tar.xz
plasma-desktop-1.0.0.0.tar.xz

Having each project tarball have a different version number at release time would make it a packaging hell.

How so? You need only ever pick the highest version number.

Wearing my distro packager hat, I can understand the concerns because to pick the highest version you obviously need to know it. For one package this is not that much of a problem, but for example for >= 200 packages released with Gear it can be. Furthermore I'm a little concerned that the same last digit can stand for a "private" and public release as well, just depending on the unrelated fact if a respin was needed or not. I assume using something like -rcN, like Frameworks currently do, is not that attractive because after the testing phase all final tarballs need to be created, even if they are identical to the last -rc, right?