Sorry for not being clearer, Marci. I'm not focusing on the holding in Locke but only on the note about expansive free exercise rights under the Washington constitution. I thought from some earlier posts quite a while back that you believed that religious exemptions that were not limited to specific problems violated the Establishment Clause -- and that this was one of your concerns with RFRA and RLUIPA. These laws created across the board exemptions, not a situation specific exemption. They applied to too many different activities and circumstances. (I may have gotten your position on this wrong. Obviously, if I did the rest of my question will not make a lot of sense.)

State constitutions that provide broader and more rigorous protection for free exercise rights than the federal constitution seem to me to accept an across the board standard for religious exemptions. They typically apply a rule that requires some form of rigorous review to laws or individual assessments that substantially burden the exercise of religion. I would assume that if a state statute that creates an across the board exemption violates the Establishment Clause, a state constitutional provision that is interpreted to apply a similar exemption standard would also violate the Establishment Clause.

I read Locke as commenting favorably on the expansive protection provided by the Washington constitution's free exercise clause. The Court seemed to suggest that play in the joints applied to both free exercise and establishment clause values and that the fact that the state provided greater protection under the state's free exercise clause than the federal constitution required helped to justify the Court's establishment clause holding.

I don't suggest that these state constitutional interpretations are identical to RFRA or RLUIPA. Merely that they apply broadly to laws or individual assessments that substantially burden the exercise of religion. So my question is -- Do you believe that free exercise provisions in state constitutions that provide more rigorous protection than Smith and apply generally and broadly violate the Establishment Clause -- and if so, does the Court's language in Locke undercut such an argument.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis