Ed, would you reconsider the form of your question.  I support toleration and accommodation of religious needs of students penned in the government schools/corrals.  In the Islamic context, I have publicly expressed the view that schools should accommodate students' percieved need for time to stop and pray and to orient themselves toward their Holy Sites.  Outside the schools context I have assisted the adherents of Native American religion in a struggle over their religious rituals and the ability to conduct them on core parklands in the Nation's Capitol.

So, would I fume if only Islamic students were accommodated.  Yes, if others sought and needed accommodation.  No, if others did not seek or need accommodation.  But again I repair to the question of the basis for accommodation.  If it is a constitutionally permissible policy judgment by government actors to take into account the religious needs of the people, then as long as accommodation is made for all religious adherents of whatever stripe, then I don't know why adherents of distinctly non-religious ventures can lay claim to that accommodation.

To some extent, your question suggests that I am a Christian pragmatist and not committed to underlying principles.  I hope that is not intended, I know it is not evidenced in anything I have ever said on this list.

Jim "Religion is, or is not, Different" Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ