I wonder how many of the critics of released time
programs truly want a meaningful released time
experience for all students? Or is that merely a
convenient means to attack any kind of released time
program?  Are some of you opposed to released time
solely because it is an attempt to accommodate
religious parents and their children from the kinds of
problems they suffer in public schools.

I think Mark does a good job of explaining the kinds
of problems experienced by many religious families who
feel coerced, by the way educational benefits are
structured, into sending their children to secular
public schools. Would you support a released time
program in your local public schools if it were broad
enough to allow children to be released to attend
religious or secular programs? I would.

Rick Duncan

--- "Scarberry, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> The values that are central to the faith of many
> people cannot be taught in
> public schools, such as the importance of praying,
> devotionally reading the
> Bible or other holy scriptures, attending religious
> services, maintaining an
> attitude of thankfulness to God, loving others
> because of God's love for you
> and because God loves them as well, etc.
>

> Of course Marty has just given us a good argument
> that public schools
> violate the religion clauses; inasmuch as he reveres
> them, it seems that
> they are an object of worship. Perhaps a sacred cow?
> (I should note that I
> send my youngest daughter to a public elementary
> school, even though I do
> not worship it.)
>

> Mark S. Scarberry
>
> Pepperdine University School of Law

others.

=====
Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow either Galahad or
Mordred: middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis, Grand Miracle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or
numbered."  --The Prisoner