Just for the record-- I never said never can there be any burden on third parties, rather that that burden should be assessed by the legislature.  There are arenas where the burden may never be tolerable, though, e.g., there are few burdens on children's health or safety that can be justified.

There is a broad sprectrum, of course.  Exemptions for peyote and religious headgear in the military create de minimis burdens on third parties.  Exemptions that permit churches to hide pedophiles from unsuspecting parents and children are enormous burdens.

Marci

For those who believe accommodation can never entail any burdens on third parties, I wonder if they could explain why the constitutional right (or interest) is in free exercise of religion qualitatively different than these other examples.