From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:33 AM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: More Discrimination Against Wiccans

Isn't it fairly obvious what this judge and the domestic relations person were thinking?  They were thinking that this is a "Christian" country, just as the 4th Cir was when it approved legislative prayers that include monotheism and exclude Wiccans.  The "system" requires faiths that are consistent with Christianity, and those that are not, can be excluded, on this reasoning.

This is a direct result of the current, though misguided, cultural pressure to "reclaim" the country for Christians, is it not?  If there were two states, other than Alabama, where we were going to see this play out, it would be Virginia and Indiana.

My question is if this case were to go up, which side would the DOJ take, given its position in the Ten Commandments and Pledge of Allegiance cases?

Marci