From: "Volokh, Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 3:24 AM
Subject: RE: More Discrimination Against Wiccans

Having a minister deliver a legislative prayer is, in some
measure, an endorsement of the minister's denomination.  It's not
exactly an endorsement in the sense of a statement that his
denomination's views are right -- but it is a statement that those views
(including those that don't appear in the prayer) are at least within
the realm of what the legislature thinks is tolerable.  Imagine the
outrage, for instance, if Louis Farrakhan were invited to deliver a
legislative prayer.

The County Council in the Fourth Circuit case didn't want to
deliver that message of quasi-endorsement as to Wicca.  From what little
I know of Wicca, that strikes me as a pretty narrow-minded view on the
County Council's part.  But it was trying to control the message that
the legislative prayer sent -- not just the literal words of the prayer,
but how the delivery of those words by this particular minister would be
perceived.  Despite Marsh v. Chambers' reliance on the nondenominational
nature of the legislative prayer, I think that most legislative prayer
regimes would inherently require this sort of control, whether exercised
formally or informally, in order to accomplish the legislative prayer's
purpose, which is to solemnize events in a way that the majority finds
effective.

Of course, all this may be an argument against Marsh v.
Chambers, because it illustrates that these legislative prayer schemes
will necessarily involve endorsement not just of "religion" in the
abstract, but of particular religions at the expense of other religions.
But it's not, I think, an open-and-shut argument; and I think it does
little violence to original meaning, our nation's traditions, or even
the body of Supreme Court precedent (on the last score, not no violence,
but little violence) to leave the government with this latitude to
prefer some religions over others in this particular sort of speech.

The Indiana case strikes me as much more troublesome:  It
involves a direct restraint on private liberty, not just offensive or
insulting government speech.  It involves a prohibition on conduct that
to many people is one of the most important aspects of their lives --
teaching their worldview to their children -- rather than just the
chiefly symbolic harm caused by a minister's exclusion from a
legislative prayer program.  It lacks the historical pedigree that
legislative prayer, coupled with legislative choice about who delivers
the prayer, has.  The differences strike me as quite substantial.

The Fourth Circuit decision may well be mistaken; and decisions
like it may lay the groundwork for much more troubling decisions, such
as that in Indiana.  But it seems to me that the Indiana decision is far
more clearly unconstitutional (even if we set aside the Free Speech
Clause question) than the Fourth Circuit decision.