So you disagree with the proposition that Wisconsin v. Yoder is a more accurate description of the RLUIPA/RFRA standard?  Seems to me you just proved it below, given the caveats.  Sherbert is simply not a straightforward strict scrutiny decision, at least when compared to the standard articulated in RFRA/RLUIPA.

 And, of course, Marty is right that the Court never had much allegiance to strict scrutiny in the free exercise context in any event.

Marci

In a message dated 5/31/2005 2:15:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Well, yes and no, but mostly no.

    On its facts, Sherbert involved better treatment for a very narrow slice of secular interests than for Sherbert's religious interest.  That fact was not noted in the Sherbert opinion, but it was the Court's basis for preserving the result in SmithSherbert also involved better treatment for Sunday worshipers than for Saturday worshipers.  That fact was noted in the Sherbert opinion, but it explicitly was not the Court's basis for its judgment.  The Court said that the burden on Sherbert's religion required compelling justification, and that the religious discrimination "compounded" the violation.  398 U.S. at 406.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX  78705
   512-232-1341 (phone)
   512-471-6988 (fax)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 12:59 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: RLUIPA Unanimously Upheld in Cutter

Marty--  I would not characterize RLUIPA as reflecting the Sherbert standard.  The Court was quite clear in Smith that Sherbert strict scrutiny is triggered when the government treats secular reasons more favorably than it does religious reasons.  That is not an issue here.  The standard, if it did appear in earlier cases, is the Wisconsin v. Yoder standard, which applies strict scrutiny to neutral, generally applicable laws.   I understand that the push for RFRA and RLUIPA involved hearkening back to Sherbert, but it is my view those arguments are simply wrong as a historical matter, and as a matter of how the Court has interpreted its own doctrines.  Locke v. Davey provides further support for my reading of Sherbert.

Marci