We do not ban teaching that illness is caused by spiritual malaise or misalignment with the essence of the universe or any of a huge number of non-germ theories.    That is the more close analogy to ID -- first causes or causes outside the realm of scientific explanation.

I recall being taught the "shrunken apple" theory of mountain formation --  before we understood plate techtonics.  Wrong as the shrunken apple theory is, I doubt anyone bothers to ban it -- or any number of obsolete teachings.  They just select/approve books which reflect more current understandings from which to teach.

Besides, the problem is not that ID is wrong -- it could even in some version be correct - -there might be a creator god out there -- it is just that it is not science -- and so it is wrong as a scientific explanation of evolution.

It is that which can be limited -- not the teaching in general of controversial and even wrong ideas.

Steve