Well, we started with "people hired to do a job, should do it."
Now we're at "people hired to do a job, should do it on the days that
they are willing to do it, even though they can get an exemption from
the schedule the job usually required."  Why not have an alternative
vision -- "people hired to do a job, should do it, but if they have
serious moral or religious objections to some aspect of the job, we
should try to accommodate them when such an accommodation wouldn't be
that hard"?

        That, I take it, is the way many jobs are run.  If you're doing
research on pornography that requires accessing sexually themed
material, and the secretary or librarian you ask to help you says "I
wonder whether I might hand this off to my colleague who doesn't have my
religious objections to it," I take it you'd say "Sure," at least if the
hand-off will be relatively simple.  If some small part of a biological
research task involves vivisection of small animals, and one of the
researchers offers to trade off this task with a colleague, I'd think
the supervisor would be and should be happy to oblige.  Why should the
words "common carrier" magically dissolve this laudable willingness to
accommodate?