In a message dated 6/23/2008 1:58:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

To be  protected by RFRA, a Catholic owner of an art museum would have to
show that  the museum is an exercise of religion.  That's imaginable, but as I
think  about the actual art museums I know anything about, none of them would
qualify, no matter who owned them.

I think RLUIPA has made this a much fuzzier line.  Now that the  definition
of exercise of religion has been explicitly expanded to include  anything at
all, whether central or not, the arguments for the application of  RLUIPA are
quite expansive.  For example, multi-family dwelling units  justified as
religiously based because of a belief in large families or  dormitories
justified
because those living in them will be attending a religious  elementary school
or
high school.  It would not be hard to argue that the  display of art is an
extension of the person's religious beliefs; it would be a  free speech plus
free
exercise argument, just like the arguments that churches  are places of
expression, so there is a hybrid right for a church building in an  area
otherwise
not zoned.

Marci

fuel-efficient used cars.