But the battles over secondary questions, as best I can tell,
tend to be quite low-profile.  A few people care fairly deeply; most
don't.  What's more, the battles happen in relatively few places.  A
Supreme Court decision invalidating legislative prayer everywhere in the
country, notwithstanding the tradition going back to the First Congress,
would become notorious and would continue to be notorious -- like the
school prayer decision, but probably more so, because the contradiction
with the revealed views of the Framers would be even stronger.  Like a
decision striking down the Pledge of Allegiance, it would become an
emblem of the culture wars, and something that I suspect would
substantially exacerbate those culture wars.