From: Douglas Laycock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 5:35 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics; Christopher Lund
Cc: Conkle, Daniel O.; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'Law & Religion issues for Law
Academics'
Subject: RE: "Political divisions along religious lines"

Either religious or sacreligious.  Either meant to be taken literally and
seriously, or meant to invoke God's name in vain.  But the Court will never be
absolutist about this, and these slogans are in no danger.

Quoting Christopher Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Responding to Professor Conkle's post, there certainly are
> definitional problems.  For me the hardest are the symbol cases *
> does the Ten Commandments along with a number of secular displays
> really convey a religious message?  Doug Laycock's amicus brief in
> Van Orden, I think, is the best attempt I've seen to draw that line.
> (He says yes.)
>
> But some of your examples I think are pretty easy.  When the
> government message either says or must inherently assume that God
> exists - that seems like an religious message.  That goes for the
> Pledge, "In God We Trust" on the coin, and "God Save the United
> States."  I'm not saying that all should be struck down.  The costs
> of striking them down might well outweigh the benefits to religious
> liberty, especially with the possibility of constitutional
> amendments.  But that's a separate inquiry * I think they're pretty
> clearly religious statements.
>
> Christopher C. Lund
> Assistant Professor of Law
> Mississippi College School of Law
> 151 E. Griffith St.
> Jackson, MS  39201
> (601) 925-7141 (office)
> (601) 925-7113 (fax)

> Chris Lund writes in part as follows:  "if the Supreme Court lets
> government speak religiously, there is a natural push for people to
> want it to speak religiously as much as possible, and in the
> particular way they want.  Eventually, someone in the government
> (whether the courts or otherwise) will have to decide what gets said
> and who gets to say it."
>
> But this is inevitable, isn't it?  There will be definitional or
> categorization issues regardless of whether a prohibition on the
> government "speaking religiously" is construed broadly or more
> narrowly.  E.g., under a broad prohibition on government religious
> speech, what about "In God We Trust" or "God Save the United States"?
>  Religious speech and therefore invalid?  Christmas displays that
> include religious symbols along with other symbols?  Christmas
> displays without such symbols but nonetheless celebrating Christmas?
> An invocation--whether or not so designated--that speaks in general
> terms about faith and hope but not about God?  Would it matter if the
> speaker is a member of the clergy?
>
> Perhaps a broad prohibition would minimize the
> definitional/categorization issues, but I'm not entirely sure about
> that.
>
> Dan Conkle
> Daniel O. Conkle
> Robert H. McKinney Professor of Law
> Indiana University School of Law
> Bloomington, Indiana  47405
> (812) 855-4331
> fax (812) 855-0555
> e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215