Religious beliefs can serve as justifications for many types of conduct that we
condemn, e.g., slavery, wife-beating, concubinage, genocide.  Discrimination,
be it based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, or other irrelevant
personal status, is to be condemned.  No one forces service providers to run
and operate places of public accommodation.  Choosing to do so, when it flies
in the face of one's religious beliefs, is self-selected conflict.  The
individual discriminated again is not in a similar "choice" position.  And
telling victims of discrimination that they should look for alternatives --
non-discriminatory service providers -- is not a proper solution.  That's
reminiscent of black Americans facing Jim Crow practices being told "we don't
serve blacks here" and having to look for and ultimately find alternative
services where such practices weren't in use.

Service providers with discriminatory religious beliefs don't face any
restriction on their beliefs from public accommodations laws.  They're just
barred from engaging in unlawful conduct, i.e., refusing to provide a
non-religious service they willingly provide to others not in the class at
issue.  This isn't about whether you have to ordain women or allow people in
the class to participate in religious activities in ways that impinge on
religious beliefs.  This is about whether providers of non-religious services
(public accommodations) should be permitted to engage in the unlawful conduct
of discrimination.

SJE

Sheri J Engelken
Gonzaga University School of Law