That's a great argument for Smith, and under Smith.  But I don't see
how it works under RFRA or other Sherbert/Yoder-type regimes.

    Sherbert makes clear that even when the government is giving
unemployment benefits, it must pass strict scrutiny when it requires
behavior that violates religious beliefs as condition of those benefits.
I would think the substantial burden is even clearer when the government
requires behavior that violates religious beliefs as a condition of
someone's use of his own property.

    Assume, for instance, that the government requires certain
businesses (say, gasoline filling stations) to be open Saturdays, and
Adele Sherbert -- who went into this line of business -- objects,
claiming that the law violates her obligation to keep her business
closed on the Sabbath.  Would we say that there's no RFRA claim because
"no one forces [Sherbert] to run and operate [a gas station]," and that
the law imposes a "self-selected conflict"?  I don't think so; after
all, no-one forced Sherbert to apply for unemployment, either.  The
same, I think, is true as to someone who is required by the law to allow
her property (or, in the New Mexico photographer's case, her services)
to be used for behavior that her religious beliefs forbid her to assist
in.

    Now one could argue that antidiscrimination law does pass strict
scrutiny, though I'm not sure why requiring Elane Huguenin to photograph
same-sex weddings -- or interfaith weddings or interracial weddings or
whatever else -- is necessary to serve a compelling government interest.
But I think one has to get into the strict scrutiny analysis; one can't
just avoid it by saying that Huguenin or Sherbert or whoever else could
quit her profession or refuse to apply for unemployment benefits.

    Eugene