Steve has said much more eloquently what I was trying to say to  Eugene.  I
agree with Steve that the categories drawn by Eugene  are not as hard and
fast as he has depicted them.

This case is teed up to be one of those cases where law professors are
"shocked" by the reasoning, but only because of unjustified assumptions about
the rigidity and portent of previous precedents.  The bigger picture here
is that tort law typically protects the vulnerable and funerals are a
paradigmatic situation where the one being targeted by the speaker is in a
vulnerable position deserving societal solicitude and protection.  (To  Marc's
point that there is too slippery of a slope here because if you include
funerals you have to include marriages --  it seems to me that the  reasoning
assumes funerals are special because of their religious  content. From the
standpoint of tort law, I disagree.  Every person  has to face funerals and
death
regardless of creed and it is uniformly a trying  time; in contrast,
celebrations do not put the individual in the  position of vulnerability that
facing death does).

Marci

In a message dated 3/10/2010 4:31:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,