I wonder if the Justices have taken the case to give guidance on what local and
state governments may do to protect funeral-goers.
Instead of looking at this from the speech side, I would tend to look at it
from the perspective of the location of the speech.
Surely government may create and enforce the conditions for solemnity needed at
funerals.  Such conditions would apply whether
the content of the interfering speech (or noise) was negative as in this case
or positive (say the deceased is a rock star and the interference is coming
from groupies).  Fundamental common sense says that funerals can be protected
in this way and that what has transpired in
these cases generally should be capable of being deterred.

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law