A quick response, Doug. With regard to my example about individuals, I agree
that this is the most problematic example, but I'm not sure what the argument
would be that precludes an individual from challenging an anti-discrimination
law as viewpoint discriminatory. (A law that protected individuals holding left
wing political views from discrimination, but failed to provide comparable
protection to individuals holding right wings views would be viewpoint
discriminatory, wouldn't it?)

As to categories, if there were only two categories - houses of worship and
commercial institutions - life would be a lot simpler. But there is a lot
between these two categories and I think the world of religiously, culturally,
politically, or socially affiliated non-profits raises a lot of complicated
problems.

But basically, I think my disagreement with you comes down to this. I certainly
agree that if Title VII required a synagogue to hire a Baptist as a rabbi, that
would be unconstitutional (as well as idiotic).  But I would not be arguing
that it is unconstitutional because it violates the free speech clause
prohibition against viewpoint discrimination because Title VII doesn't prohibit
discrimination on political grounds. Would you?

I have considerably sympathy for the CLS freedom of association argument
(although I worry about how far such an argument might extend.) But I continue
to believe that extending the "religion is a viewpoint of speech protected by
the free speech clause prohibition against viewpoint discrimination" argument
is fraught with perils.

Alan Brownstein