Alan - Are not your caveats are satisfied by the fact that her clinical performance was apparently satisfactory?

BTW, there have been clients that I, as an attorney, have declined to represent, as it has been obvious to me that, because their goals were so diametrically opposed to mine, I would not be able to adequately represent them (such as people who want to spay and neuter all dogs, and ultimately do away with all pet ownership). I rarely have that problem with religious organizations, however, as long as they are sincere in their beliefs.

Lisa

On 7/29/2010 11:02 AM, Brownstein, Alan wrote:

I think Lisa Runquist draws an important distinction that clarifies the issue and its resolution. Excluding someone from professional education suggests that their beliefs, or more precisely the influence of their beliefs on their behavior, prevents them from providing competent professional services in almost any circumstance. The religious beliefs at issue in some cases may disqualify a person from being hired for certain counseling positions – but there may be other opportunities for which their beliefs do not pose a barrier to the successful performance of their duties. Dismissal from professional school seems premature and unjustified in such circumstances.

In the counseling context, I might offer two tentative caveats (tentative because I have so little expertise relating to this profession). First, it may be that being a successful counselor requires the practitioner to be able to distance themselves from the beliefs of the client at least to some extent. If that is the case (and I emphasize “if” here), then there may be reason to dismiss a student who is completely incapable of separating her own views from the needs of her client. There may be quasi-counseling jobs that person may fulfill, but she cannot be certified as counselor under professional standards.

The second caveat is that the student must be willing to abide by accepted clinical requirements – which may require the temporary subordination of her beliefs to avoid harm to the client. The situations described in these cases presume that an openly gay or lesbian client seeks counseling and the counselor chooses to refer that client to another counselor because her religious beliefs would interfere with the provision of counseling services to that individual. In situations where such referrals are easily arranged, that seems like a win-win decision. The counselor and client will be better off if the client sees a different counselor.

In some cases, however, the client’s homosexuality (or other personal characteristic that the counselor cannot affirm because of her religious beliefs) may not be disclosed until several counseling sessions have been completed. It may be that in such a circumstance, it is still desirable for the client to transition to a different counselor. But clinical requirements designed to protect the client may preclude any abrupt transfer of responsibilities. If a student indicated that even in such situations, she would not be able to subordinate her beliefs even temporarily in order to protect the mental health of her client – the professional school may have reason to dismiss the student from its program.

Alan Brownstein

*From:* religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] *On Behalf Of *Lisa A. Runquist
*Sent:* Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:41 AM
*To:* religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
*Subject:* Re: Augusta State University student sues school over requirement that she undergo "remediation" due to her religious views

On 7/28/2010 3:23 PM, Lisa A. Runquist wrote:

If the person completed all of the requirements to obtain a degree, the degree should be granted, regardless of their religious beliefs. That would include allowing someone to graduate from medical school, even if they do not believe in blood transfusions or abortions. And they should be able to obtain a degree from the counselor education program if, as appears to be the case in this situation, both the academic showing and the clinical performance are adequate.

The question of obtaining licensing is a second matter, although again, if the person is otherwise qualified, that person should be granted a license -- e.g. if the person passes the bar exam, is of good moral character, etc., then he or she should be able to become a lawyer, regardless of his or her religious beliefs.

Then comes the bottom line question which is being incorrectly posed as the answer to the first: Can and should that person be hired for a particular position? But this is a third and totally separate question. Clearly if the person is unable to perform the functions of the job, he or she should not be hired. And if the person insists on interjecting religion into a non-religious workplace, they probably would be fired from most jobs (for good cause). But that does not mean the person would not be a good counselor in other situations. Many religious organizations provide counselors for their constituents; these people want counseling from someone with strong moral standards rather than from someone who has no moral standards at all, or standards that are far different from theirs. Why should we deny them the ability to hire counselors with similar religious beliefs, by refusing to allow said person(s) to graduate, and/or to be licensed? This clearly does not mean everyone will want to or should use that counselor, just as not everyone will want a counselor who is unwilling to hold fast to his or her beliefs.

--
Lisa A. Runquist
Runquist&  Associates