I guess my question is not so much how is it possible, but (1) why would we
want civil courts to enforce religious agreements? and (2) why would the civil
courts be willing to use civil enforcement measures to enforce religious
agreements?  If a person makes an agreement based on religious principle, why
shouldn't they be limited to religious fora and their means of enforcement,
whether it is
shunning, or excommunication, or having to teach Sunday School.  There seems to
be an implicit agreement in this discussion
that enforcement of religious agreements in civil courts is a positive policy
decision.  I think it probably is not.  A dual system
is the better approach for Establishment purposes and for the identity of
religious individuals.
So, in the Catholic Church, there are civil trials for civil liability for
causing child sex abuse by clergy and there are ecclesiatical trials for the
Church's version of justice.

Marci

For many agreements to arbitrate, the Federal Arbitration Act is the
rgument for enforcement; there is nothing in the FAA that would
xempt agreements that provide for a religiously based arbitral forum.
 For others, analogous state statutes are the argument for enforcement.