Dear colleagues,

I agree with Marci that a healthy, positive sense of the distinction between
religious authority and political / civil authority is important for religious
freedom.  (This is one reason, I think, measures like the recent attempt in
Connecticut to re-organize Catholic parishes on a trustee-ship model are
troubling.)   And, I think Eugene is right to point out that any willingness on
the political authority's part to enforce religious arbitrations or resolve
religious disputes is (and should be) cabined by the "no religious decisions"
and "no excessive entanglement" rules.

Still, it does seem to me that political communities might reasonably conclude
that an important dimension of human freedom - one that is not outside the
appropriate zone of a secular government's concern --  is the ability to enter
into a wide variety of actually-binding promises and agreements.  I am inclined
to think that the fact these agreements and promises (freely and knowingly)
incorporate "religious" commitments, norms, laws, etc., should not necessarily
(thought it certainly might, in some cases) make them inappropriate for
enforcement by non-religious authorities.

Best,

Rick

Richard W. Garnett
Professor of Law and Associate Dean