Eugene,

In your mind does the constitutional difficulty arise from the court
choosing a Muslim arbitrator under the contract or from the enforcement of a
contract involving religious terms?  Suppose, for example, that the parties
had -- pursuant to the contract -- chosen Muslim arbitrators, who had
arbitrated the dispute, and then one the parties sought to enforce the
arbitration award in court.  Could the other party defend on the ground that
the court was being asked to enforce an arbitration that was infected with
unconstitutional religious discrimination?

Frankly, I am skeptical of the equal protection argument here.  I don't see
how you can get an equal protection violation without doing some sort of
Shelly v. Kramer end run around the state action doctrine, and I think that
such an end run is both unlikely to succeed and as a normative matter should
be done only sparingly.  I think that we want to allow people to use the law
to create illiberal arrangements, so long as such arrangements don't pose a
threat to the basic liberal order.  The widespread use of racially
restrictive covenants given the American experience with race posed such a
threat.  I have a hard time seeing that voluntary commercial arbitration
under sharia law poses such a threat.   Hence, in response to Marci's
initial question of what about a contract that called for an arbiter based
on race or gender, my default position is to say "No problem.  Let people
write the contracts that they wish to write."  This, however, is only a
default.  If Marci and other skeptics can tell a sufficiently compelling
story about how this particular practice or form of private discrimination
threatens the liberal order, then I think that we have a reason for denying
enforcement.  (I suspect that Marci and I would differ on what constitutes a
threat to the liberal order.)  Even in these cases, I think that as a
doctrinal matter it makes more sense to do this via things like the void as
against public policy doctrine under contract law rather than through a
convoluted reading of the equal protection clause.

I think that the neutral principles doctrine has a bit more traction,
although even there I am skeptical.  At some point I think that the first
amendment is implicated when a court makes religious identifications, but it
seems to me that in order for courts to be cognicient of religion in ways
that I am assuming are uncontroversial -- such as for purposes of providing
free exercise protection or policing establishment clause violations --
courts will have to be able to make religious identifications.  It is not
clear to me that a contract calling for a Saudi national who is a Muslim
will -- as a practical matter -- raise these sorts of problems.  A contract
calling for "a pious and orthodox Muslim" in contrast, might.

Best,

NBO
Nathan B. Oman
Associate Professor