From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu on behalf of Finkelman, Paul
<paul.finkel...@albanylaw.edu>
Sent: Mon 1/3/2011 10:36 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Avitzur

I am in California for AALS and can't dig out Avitzur; but if I recall
correctly (and please, someone correct me if i am wrong); but I thought that
the case involved in the enforcement of the N Y Get law (which is of dubious
constitutionality) which requires a man who is the moving party in a Orthodox
of Conservative Jewish divorce to give the wife a get (a Jewish divorce
document) and that it is not based on anything in the Ketubah (the Jewish
marriage Contract).  Please clarify, if you can, or correct me if I am wrong.
There is no such thing as "Lieberman" clause in a traditional Ketubah (after
all, there were no Liebermans around at the time). So again, perhaps I am
misremembering and this was not a traditional Ketubah but some modernized
contract

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law and Public  Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY  12208-3494

518-445-3386 (o)