As some of you perhaps know, Bob Tuttle and I have written a piece about
state laws and policy proposals designed to reconcile same-sex marriage with
religious liberty.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/journals/njlsp/v5/n2/4/4Lupu.pdf

The NY law, as I read it, is just like the other state laws we canvass in
respect to 1) exempting clergy from any obligation to perform a marriage
ceremony for any particular couple or class of couples; 2) exempting
religious entities from any obligation to host the solemnization or
celebration of a marriage (worship service, reception, etc.)  Most lawyers
and scholars would agree, I think, that the First Amendment requires those
two exemptions.

The NY statute, just like the others, does NOT exempt any public employees
or providers of wedding services/goods (caterers, photographers, etc.) from
their pre-existing obligations under state Human Rights law to serve without
discrimination based on, among other things, sexual orientation.  (A number
of our colleagues on this list had pushed in NY and elsewhere for an
exemption of that character; the Lupu-Tuttle article argues against such
exemptions.)

Section 10.B.3. of the NY law, as Marty quotes it and I read it, just
confirms that the new law does not modify the pre-existing statutory rights
of religious entities to discriminate based on religion in hiring, admission
to schools, etc.  So if a religious organization excludes, on religious
grounds, openly and actively gay people from jobs or other listed
opportunities, it may continue to do so.  Being in a same-sex marriage would
obviously be evidence of someone's intimate life with a same-sex partner.
 But 10.B.3 does not seem to add any rights to discriminate (e.g., re:
social service delivery, or spousal benefits to employees) that did not
already exist under NY statutory law.

Do others read these provisions differently?

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Marty Lederman <lederman.ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> >From what I can tell, this is what ended up in the bill; please holler if
> this is not correct:
>
> S 10-B. APPLICATION. 1. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER  PROVISION  OF  LAW,
>  PURSUANT  TO  SUBDIVISION  NINE OF SECTION TWO HUNDRED NINETY-TWO OF THE
>  EXECUTIVE LAW, A CORPORATION INCORPORATED UNDER  THE  BENEVOLENT  ORDERS
>  LAW OR DESCRIBED IN THE BENEVOLENT ORDERS LAW BUT FORMED UNDER ANY OTHER
>  LAW  OF  THIS  STATE  OR  A RELIGIOUS CORPORATION INCORPORATED UNDER THE
>  EDUCATION LAW OR THE RELIGIOUS CORPORATIONS LAWS SHALL BE DEEMED  TO  BE
>  IN ITS NATURE DISTINCTLY PRIVATE AND THEREFORE, SHALL NOT BE REQUIRED TO
>  PROVIDE  ACCOMMODATIONS, ADVANTAGES, FACILITIES OR PRIVILEGES RELATED TO
>  THE SOLEMNIZATION OR CELEBRATION OF A MARRIAGE.
>  2. A REFUSAL BY A BENEVOLENT ORGANIZATION OR A RELIGIOUS  CORPORATION,
>  INCORPORATED  UNDER THE EDUCATION LAW OR THE RELIGIOUS CORPORATIONS LAW,
>  TO PROVIDE  ACCOMMODATIONS,  ADVANTAGES,  FACILITIES  OR  PRIVILEGES  IN
>  CONNECTION  WITH  SECTION TEN-A OF THIS ARTICLE SHALL NOT CREATE A CIVIL
>  CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION.
>  3. PURSUANT TO SUBDIVISION ELEVEN OF SECTION TWO HUNDRED NINETY-SIX OF
>  THE EXECUTIVE LAW, NOTHING IN THIS ARTICLE SHALL BE DEEMED OR  CONSTRUED
>  TO PROHIBIT ANY RELIGIOUS OR DENOMINATIONAL INSTITUTION OR ORGANIZATION,
>  OR  ANY  ORGANIZATION  OPERATED  FOR CHARITABLE OR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES,
>  WHICH IS OPERATED, SUPERVISED OR CONTROLLED BY OR IN CONNECTION  WITH  A
>  RELIGIOUS  ORGANIZATION  FROM  LIMITING EMPLOYMENT OR SALES OR RENTAL OF
>  HOUSING ACCOMMODATIONS OR ADMISSION TO OR GIVING PREFERENCE  TO  PERSONS
>  OF  THE  SAME  RELIGION OR DENOMINATION OR FROM TAKING SUCH ACTION AS IS
>  CALCULATED BY SUCH ORGANIZATION TO PROMOTE THE RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES  FOR
>  WHICH IT IS ESTABLISHED OR MAINTAINED.
>

> S  5.  Subdivision  1  of section 11 of the domestic relations law, as
>  amended by chapter 319 of the laws of 1959, is amended and a new  subdi
>  vision 1-a is added to read as follows:
>
> * * * * NO CLERGYMAN OR MINISTER
>  AS DEFINED IN SECTION TWO OF THE RELIGIOUS CORPORATIONS LAW, OR  SOCIETY
>  FOR  ETHICAL  CULTURE LEADER SHALL BE REQUIRED TO SOLEMNIZE ANY MARRIAGE
>  WHEN ACTING IN HIS OR HER CAPACITY UNDER THIS SUBDIVISION.
>  1-A. A REFUSAL BY A CLERGYMAN OR MINISTER AS DEFINED IN SECTION TWO OF
>  THE RELIGIOUS CORPORATIONS LAW, OR SOCIETY FOR ETHICAL CULTURE LEADER TO
>  SOLEMNIZE ANY MARRIAGE UNDER THIS SUBDIVISION SHALL NOT CREATE  A  CIVIL
>  CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION.

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053