Whatever the current law in NY is, this doesn't change it.  So if a
religious organization owns and operates an assisted living facility, and it
excludes occupants on religious grounds, and it preaches against same-sex
intimacy, it probably would be free to exclude same-sex partners.  Their
marital status wouldn't change this.  I very much doubt that the
organization's power to discriminate extends to investment property.  But
that's a question of NY Human Rights law, and perhaps someone can enlighten
on those details.  The important point about the the same-sex marriage law
is that it appears to leave that power to discriminate (whatever its scope)
undisturbed.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM, <hamilto...@aol.com> wrote:

> How do folks read the "rental of housing" language?   What if a religious
> organization owns rental property as an investment--does this mean they can
> reject gay partners even if the property is not otherwise used for religious
> purposes?
> Does this differ from current law?
>
> Marci
>

> Marci A. Hamilton
> Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
> Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
> Yeshiva University

> From: Marty Lederman <lederman.ma...@gmail.com>
> Sender: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:24:50
> To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics<religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
> Subject: Re: The religious exemptions in the new NY same-sex marriage law

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053