Actually, I didn't mean this as a chilling effect argument, in
the sense that restricting constitutionally valueless speech X (e.g., false
statements of fact) may deter even constitutionally valuable speech Y (e.g.,
true statements that the speaker fears might be thought false by a jury),
though such an argument would indeed be interesting.

Rather, my argument was that one can't lightly dismiss the religion-and-the-law
consequences of allowing the discipline of Buell under Pickering, even though
Buell wasn't making an overtly religious argument.  Such a decision allowing
the discipline of Buell would either rest on the judgment that (1) speech that
isn't overtly religious is less valuable under the Pickering balance than
speech that is overtly religious, or (2) both overtly religious and
nonreligious would be similarly subject to discipline.  I assumed that option
(1) wasn't right, though I'd be happy to discuss this further; my assumption
was that First Amendment law shouldn't treat expressly religious speech as more
protected under the Free Speech Clause than other speech, since that would
itself pose Free Speech Clause or Establishment Clause problems.  I therefore
concluded that option (2) is what would be adopted - which is why the
discipline of Buell, who wasn't speaking expressly religious, would also apply
to any other teacher's "be[ing] fired even for more expressly religious
expressions of his anti-same-sex-marriage views.

Eugene