If this case, or the KKK example, could be sustained, it would be on the
basis of a rational linkage between the position of the teacher and the
likelihood of unlawful *conduct.* Pedophilia is unlawful, so is violence
against racial and ethnic minorities. The KKK has a long history of such
violence, and NAMBLA (if memory serves, the last word in its name was
Association) may or may not have facilitated actual, as opposed to notional,
pedophilia (or maybe they merely advocated revision of the law to permit it,
in which case dismissing the teacher would have been the wrong outcome). I
don't see where the teacher in the present example could be tied to any
actual unlawful acts against homosexuals, so disciplining him for merely
stating an opinion crosses a line that, in my view, ought to be a fairly
bright one.

Vance

Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA