The first claim in the pending complaints is RFRA, which of course
completely avoids the Smith problem.  The free exercise count alleges that
there are both statutory and administrative exceptions that affect tens of
millions of Americans who will get no coverage, or less than full coverage,
from their employers, so that the law is not neutral and generally
applicable. I have not looked at any of these provisions. But the employers
who are permitted to provide less than full coverage seems the most powerful
example here. These exceptions go not only to general applicability, but
also to the compelling interest argument under both RFRA and the Free
Exercise Clause

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546