From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Will Esser
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:36 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: The contraception mandate under Empoyment Division v Smith

Brad,

In the complaint filed by Belmont Abbey College challenging the contraception
mandate, the Becket Fund argues that the contraception mandate is not a law of
general applicability because among other things (a) it does not apply to all
employers (for instance it does not apply to employers with fewer than 50
employees); (b) it does not apply to certain "grandfathered" insurance plans;
and (c) it provides for a system of individualized exemptions by allowing HHS
the ability to grant waivers in response to individualized requests.  You can
access the complaint here:

http://www.becketfund.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/HHS-Complaint-Final11.10.11.pdf)

Maybe the question to be asked is which "law" must be of general applicability?
 In Smith, it strikes me that the peyote statute was a stand alone criminal
law.  In this instance, I understood that the contraception mandate was just
one component of the overall  federal healthcare reform act.  So it seems to me
that in interpreting whether the law is one of general applicability, a court
would be required to look at the entire healthcare reform act and determine
what waivers and exemptions were included in it, rather than just narrowly
focusing on the contraception mandate itself.

Thoughts?

Will

Will Esser --- Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Charlotte, North Carolina

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;
the real tragedy is when men are afraid of the light."
(Attributed to Plato, 428-345 B.C.)