Marci, has any church ever won any form of sexual abuse case on a RFRA theory?
I will not assert that the number of such cases is zero, because I do not claim
to have read every case. I am confident that the number of such cases is very
small. As Eugene has already noted, the churches that have won negligent
supervision or negligent hiring cases on religious liberty theories have won
them on the ground that liability would interfere with the relationship between
the church and its ministers. And that theory was never based in RFRA or
Sherbert-Yoder. It was and is based in Watson v. Jones and the line of cases
that also led to the ministerial exception.

We can all agree that the underlying conduct in the sex abuse cases is
indefensible. Every judge has agreed with that too. You use them like a
three-year old with a newly discovered hammer, to beat on any religious liberty
issue no matter how remote or irrelevant. At the AALS in January, you dragged
the sex abuse cases into a panel on the land use provisions of RLUIPA.  You
combine the worst sort of ad hominem with the worst sort of guilt by
association – some religious folks have done bad things, so all religious folks
should have their liberty constrained in all domains.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546