I posted something  briefly from my droid that was short, but now raise it more
completely.  Is there any evidence that the defeat in ND was at least in part
about Indian religious freedom. There is some serious tension between Indians
and non-Indians in ND and since the whole issue of RFRA came out of Oregon's
hostility to the Native American Church  -- Oregon could easily have gone the
other way just on the fact of Smith -- I wonder if there is some sense that
this issue was present in ND as well.

Paul

Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

518-445-3386 (p)