I don't know that all bets would need to be off in any case, since other state
RFRAs have long used "burden" rather than "substantial burden," e.g.
Connecticut's.

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock [dlayc...@virginia.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:15 PM
To: b...@jmcenter.org; Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Religious exemptions in ND

The Supreme Court of the United states would have had nothing to say about the
meaning of Measure 3. It would have been a state law issue.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
 "b...@jmcenter.org" <b...@jmcenter.org> wrote:
>Eric,
>
>Glad to see you focusing on the claims made with respect to Measure 3. I've
>been
>counseling a nontheistic North Dakota group for over a year on Measure 3 and
>its
>predecessor. My primary concern has been the potential use of Measure 3 to
>legalize discrimination against atheists, members of minority religions and
>LGBT. Considering the fact that Justice Scalia doesn't believe the
>Establishment
>Clause protects atheists, Justice Thomas doesn't believe in incorporation and
>six of nine justices self-identify themselves as Catholic, all bets are off
>what
>would have benn protected by mere burden in Measure 3.
>
>Bob Ritter
>Jefferson Madison Center for Religious Liberty
>A Project of the Law Office of Robert V. Ritter
>Falls Church, VA
>703-533-0236
>

>On June 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM Eric Rassbach <erassb...@becketfund.org> wrote:
>

>> These appear to be some of the main arguments against passing the RFRA:
>>
>> http://ndagainst3.com/get-the-facts/
>>
>> As an example, this TV ad said that the RFRA would allow men to marry girls
>> aged 12 and to beat their spouses:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ngnqGR6e8
>>
>> There was also quite a bit of blog chatter about sharia law being enforced in
>> North Dakota as a result of passing the RFRA.
>>
>> I did not see anything about Native Americans.

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA  22903