I think Marci's distinction between substantial and incidental burdens goes
to the question of the weight of the burden's materiality (penalty for
noncompliance with government-imposed norms -- though sometimes financial
harm is enough -- see Sherbert).  I take her question in this regard to be
a friendly addition to my own and to Marc's.

I think the either/or choices I attributed to others on the list
(self-declaration of burden vs. objective adjudication) go to the question
of the religious character and significance of the burden (e.g., degree of
complicity in evil from cooperation with the mandate).  That's a different
question.  But I think RFRA is stunningly ambiguous on the issue of whether
its focus is materiality, religious character, or some combination of the
two.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM, <hamilto...@aol.com> wrote:

> Actually, I do not recognize my position under either of Chip's either/or
> choices.  Rather, I would look to the cases, which have dealt with
> interpreting "substantial burden" repeatedly.  Courts have held in the vast
> majority of cases that cost and convenience are not "substantial."   That
> weighs heavily against the ACA plaintiffs, to the extent they are
> complaining about having to pay for insurance.
> "Substantial" means that the religious practice has become "impracticable"
> or severely curtailed.
>
>  The ACA case creates a new, more extreme, demand, which is not that the
> religious believer is being forced or prohibited from taking a particular
> act, beyond purchasing an omnibus health care plan.  Rather, it is that the
> religious believer does not want to pay for a health insurance plan that
> permits employees potentially to obtain health care with which the
> employer disagrees.  The employee (who, under Title VII or state
> anti-discrimination law could not be hired or fired based on religious
> belief, and who has the benefit of doctor/patient confidentiality) may well
> be fine, on religious grounds, in obtaining the contraception and/or
> abortion (indeed, their religious beliefs may actually require or encourage
> such medical care), but the employer's objection is that someone may use a
> health benefit in a way the religious employer doesn't want it used.  Under
> existing case law, this is an attenuated argument that induces an
> "incidental" burden, not a substantial burden, for purposes of free
> exercise analysis.
>
>  Moreover, the slippery slope is steep.  Jehovah's witnesses and blood
> transfusion; Scientologists and mental health care; Catholics and
> evangelicals and palliative care for the terminal, elderly patient....etc.,
> etc.
>
>  I am not persuaded by Mark's distinction between the voucher cases,
> where private decisions wash government money of its Establishment Clause
> restrictions, and the ACA situation, where, again, a private actor, is
> acting in an independent way that cannot be attributed reasonably to the
> provider of the benefit.
>
>  Marci
>
>  On the other side, the government lawyers and courts get to second-guess
> and decide what someone's religion really requires, and what kind of burden
> on that is presumptively too great to force the claimant to endure.  That
> seems unconstitutional (see Hosanna-Tabor and other decisions on
> Establishment Clause limits on the state's resolving internal religious
> questions).
>
>   Chip
>

> Marci A. Hamilton
> Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
> Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
> Yeshiva University
> 55 Fifth Avenue
> New York, NY 10003
> (212) 790-0215
> hamilto...@aol.com

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053