The free exercise case law does not come close to sufficiently fleshing it
out (and has internal contradictions), and a general term like "substantial
burden" inevitably must evolve in light of the facts of cases as they arise
and are decided.

If there had never been a Smith or a RFRA. I expect we would be having
exactly the same fight over whether the employer mandate under ACA was a
substantial burden under the free exercise clause.