From: Douglas Laycock [mailto:dlayc...@virginia.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 09:30 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>;
hamilto...@aol.com <hamilto...@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Contraception mandate

RLUIPA does not apply to fair housing laws because it applies only to land use
regulation and institutionalized persons, and it exprssly defines land use
regulation as zoning and landmarking. Period. No mystery to explain.

My recollection is that that definition was added late in the process. I have
not checked that.

Before that amendment, neither I nor any other supporter assured opponents that
RLPA would not apply to fair housing laws. The whole fight was fueled by fair
housing laws.

There were negotiations about exempting large landlords and protecting small
landlords. But these negotiations quickly broke down because the two sides were
too far apart on what the size limit should be.

RLPA had other opponents, but the civil rights issue is what killed it. It is
not true that it was doomed by its overbreadth. It was not even obvious at the
time that it was doomed by the civil rights fight.

The Nadler Amendment to exclude civil rights claims was defeated in the House
234-190. The unamended bill then passed the House 306-118. That lopsided yes
vote hardly suggests a doomed bill. Skeptics can find these votes at 145 Cong.
Rec. H5607-08. The bill then died in the Senate without a vote.

Both sides in the debate over the Nadler Amendment, and in the earlier debates
in committee, were fighting about a live issue. No one thought they were making
post-enactment legislative history for RFRA. They were all acting on a common
understanding about what the language copied from RFRA meant.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 20:20:28 -0400 (EDT)
 hamilto...@aol.com wrote:

>I was not particularly interested in solely Doug's statements at the time, but
>rather his reasoning in his new piece.   Marc and now Eugene have personalized
>this.
>There is no need for that.
>

>Here is a fact:  Many following enactment of RLUIPA have stated unequivocally
>that the land use provisions were not intended to apply to the fair housing
>(i.e., civil rights) laws.
>Since the only legis history on RLUIPA was RLPA, that assumption (that the
>civil rights laws were beyond the new statute) had to come from the RLPA
>proceedings.
>What is the missing piece that explains how Doug and Marc have explained the
>history?
>

>Marci
>

>Marci A. Hamilton
>Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
>Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
>Yeshiva University
>55 Fifth Avenue
>New York, NY 10003
>(212) 790-0215
>http://sol-reform.com

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA  22903