With all due respect, Marc, RLPA was doomed by many forces, not just the civil
rights community.  The American Academy of Pediatrics, and many other leading
organizations
for the protection of children took a very strong stand.  We lobbied Congress
together as well (we didn't have "chairs").  The two sides were not in the same
rooms at the same time, obviously.

Your defense of Doug does not answer the factual questions I have posed.   I
have no idea what Doug has been saying to groups in private all these years,
because, as I
pointed out, those discussions have not been public, but rather behind closed
doors among fellow lobbyists on that side.

Where in the RFRA legislative history (which is the only one that can be taken
into account on any issue other than land use or prisons), is there any
mention of for-profit
corporations obtaining its capacious rights?

I also find it very surprising at the idea that the civil rights groups should
be mollfied when told that their interests would be "compelling interests,"
given that the least restrictive means test was still in play, and, as urged by
most litigants on that side, virtually insuperable.

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law