From: Greg Lipper
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:57 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Reply To: Greg Lipper
Subject: Re: bigotry and sincere religious belief

I would also add that Greg Sisk’s syllogism only works if (1) you are also
willing to allow photographers, florists, caterers, bakers, etc. to refuse to
work at mixed-race weddings, or (2) you conclude that refusal to participate in
same-sex wedding ceremonies is somehow more worthy of protection than refusal
to participate in mixed-race weddings.

As to the former, we as a society (or so I had thought) have concluded that we
are unwilling to tolerate that type of discrimination, whatever its motivation.

As to the latter, I still haven’t seen a principled basis for saying that
sexual-orientation-based discrimination is somehow more benign than race-based
discrimination (be it in the context of marriage, marriage ceremonies, or
otherwise). Perhaps this debate is hopelessly circular: lots of people –
including lots of smart people – still oppose same-sex marriage, and smart
people who oppose same-sex marriage will naturally come up with ways to treat
their opposition to same-sex marriage as less problematic than other types of
discrimination that have been more widely discredited. But that doesn’t change
what otherwise appears to be purely invidious discrimination.

On Feb 27, 2014, at 8:40 PM, Ira Lupu