Excellent post, Hillel. I agree with you and also see the current situation as
deeply sad and tragic.
Alan

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 6, 2015, at 9:21 PM, "Hillel Y. Levin"
<hillelle...@gmail.com<mailto:hillelle...@gmail.com>> wrote:

In an ideal world I would stand with Sandy's plea for magnanimity. I tend
towards a compromise view of the world in general, and I believe there could be
room for compromise here as well. I'd go even further and say that religious
folks and LGBTQ folks are fellow travelers who should be able to find common
cause. The history (recent and historical) of repression, discrimination,
rejection, victimization, and dehumanization is central to both groups'
experiences. Moreover, at their core both groups are engaged in the deep search
for truth, meaning, identity, love, and the true self. Would both groups affirm
this of the other, I believe there could be common purpose that eclipses that
which divides.

Unfortunately, in the real world I don't see that happening. Frankly, I lay the
blame primarily at the feet of religious conservatives, including some among my
own orthodox Jewish coreligionists. For decades and longer, many religious
conservatives have (and indeed continue to) denied the basic humanity and
dignity of LGBTQ individuals. Not all religious conservatives have, of course,
but it has been a constant refrain in our political and social discourse. Too
many LGBTQ individuals to count have been cast out of their natural families
and their religious families.

In my view, this represents both a failure of practical political judgment (the
writing was on the wall about SSM and the ascendancy of gay rights at least two
decades ago) and a failure of empathy and magnanimity on the part of religious
conservatives. One tends to reap what one sows.

Most of us, I think, want to be accepted wholly by others. Those who have been
consistently victimized and rejected by others are probably more sensitive to
dignitary harms that others might brush off or simply accept or ignore.

There is something rich and ironic about religious individuals now demanding
special treatment and acceptance of their different lifestyles and beliefs from
the very people whom they have vilified and continue, in many cases, to vilify.
It would be nice for LGBTQ people to turn the other cheek as Sandy suggests;
but gee, that's a lot to ask of people.

To be clear, I view all of this as deeply, deeply tragic. And it answers
neither the constitutional nor the policy questions. But descriptively, that's
what I think is going on.

When all is said and done, I find it difficult to expect that LGBTQ advocacy
groups--now finally enjoying a measure of political success and social
acceptance (though by no means complete)--to simply stop demanding full legal
and social equality. When they see groups taking actions that would undermine
their legal and social standing and dignity, I dont blame them for organizing
politically and attempting to stop them in their tracks. I can't fault them for
being unmoved by pleas for acceptance, dignity, and space from the very same
people (and fellow travelers) who have, and indeed continue to, denied them the
same.

I hope that one day we will be able to put this tragedy behind us. It is not a
surprise to me that Mormons in Utah--who know a thing or two about repression,
rejection, dehumanization, and discrimination--were the first to quite publicly
and effectively extend a hand. Whatever one thinks of the ultimate product of
that effort, the sentiment seems to me to be the right one.

The onus is on other, more mainstream religious conservatives who are used to
holding political and social clout to extend that hand. I just don't think that
day is coming soon.

On Monday, April 6, 2015, Levinson, Sanford V