From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2015 7:12 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: What's happening in KY? -- my differences with Eugene

She is motivated by prejudice against same sex couples. Her motivation for that
is not relevant under what I thought to be well settled and noncontroversial
equal protection jurisprudence. She has no rational reason to treat same sex
couples differently from opposite sex couples under the law. Obergefell says
such differing treatment is not rational.
How can a state RFRA undo this constitutional norm and obligation?
The federal RFRA does not apply (Boerne).  So how does the issue of substantial
burden even arise? (Smith)
The claim is not title VII, it is the 14th amendment directly. If smith and
Reynolds stand for anything anymore it is that the religious base unit veto
does not work.

Sent from Steve's iPhone

On Sep 5, 2015, at 9:27 PM, Scarberry, Mark