I think Steve gets it exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 6, 2015, at 12:42 PM, Steven Jamar
<stevenja...@gmail.com<mailto:stevenja...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I don’t know that anyone can really know the extent of their biases influencing
their thinking.  Deep things like being a trained historian vs. an engineer can
infect how we view the law.  Life experiences — poor or rich, elite or
marginal, black, white or other, etc. surely impact how we view things.

But on this one, I am in favor of reasonable accommodations that favor
religious exercise.  I’m even in favor of finding an accommodation for Ms.
Davis.  But the propriety of finding/making an accommodation does not excuse
her flouting of clear constitutional requirements.  If she plays MLK Jr or
Gandhi and says “I will not follow your unjust law but I recognize your right
to jail me for failing to follow it” — well that would be one thing.  But she
is not.  She is claiming to above the law, not merely that she is acting
according to the dictates of her conscience or her religion — but that this
higher law excuses her refusal to do her job.  It does not.

She is taking a stand and witnesses for her beliefs by becoming a martyr for
her cause.  But she is not a private citizen in a private job.  She is an
elected official elected to do a ministerial job.  She is not rendering unto
Ceasar that which is his.  She is denying the validity of Ceasar’s power.  She
is not walking the extra mile, shouldering the Centurian’s burden; she is
dropping the load on the road and demanding to be applauded for it.  She is
placing her personal religious beliefs above the requirements of We the People
acting through our Supreme Court and federal government.

Disliking that is not a matter of political stance on same sex marriage or the
morality of homosexuals.

One can claim as the dissenters in Obergefell did and still do with respect to
abortion rights that the court got it wrong.  But even so that does not give
one the right to play President Jackson and send thousands to their death along
the trail of tears.  The magnitude is different; the principle is the same.

Steve Jamar

On Sep 6, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Levinson, Sanford V