I agree with Rick that Judge Posner did not comport himself well (or
usefully) at oral argument.  I also agree that Notre Dame has not said--not
clearly, anyway--that it would object if the *government* provided its
students and employees with coverage in a way that did not involve Notre
Dame's insurer and third-party administrator.

Yet, like Davis and her Deputy Clerk, Notre Dame now *does *argue that its
religious obligations are violated, no matter the scope of its own
noninvolvement, if Notre Dame's insurer (for its employee plan) or TPA (for
its student plan) themselves provide contraceptive coverage to its
employees/students -- something that has been happening all this year.

I would be very surprised if Rick agrees that Notre Dame has been violating
its religious obligations throughout all of 2015 -- or even that Notre
Dame's decision-makers are of that view.  Yet that is the claim.

In fairness, the new claim in Rowan County is one step further attenuated:
 Davis now (reportedly) will argue that her religion prohibits a County
Deputy Clerk from issuing a license even though (unlike ND and its
insurer/TPA) Davis presumably did not herself enter into a contract with
the Deputy Clerks.