Neither Eugene's or Alan's questions invite quick or easy answers, but
here's a start:

1.  Eugene's examples all involve health and safety. None can be diverted
to religious use; all make religious use, and all other uses of the
property, healthier or safer.  Compare Mitchell v. Helms -- in-kind aid to
schools, public and private, in poor areas.  The aid included things like
computers, books, AV equipment, etc.  Plurality said that neutral
distributional criteria (public and private schools, no sectarian
discrimination) is all you need.  Dissent said divertibility of aid to
religious use is fatal.  Controlling opinion, SOC-SB, said the
Establishment Clause concern is actual diversion, not divertibility, so the
program is OK because it contains adequate (and non-entangling) safeguards
against religious use. That is the Establishment Clause right now.

Trinity Lutheran Church seems to me to fall between Eugene's examples and
Mitchell.  The playground will be safer for play, but it will also be more
useable as space for worship and religious instruction.  Improving the
playground sufficiently would be (imperfectly) analogous to adding a new
classroom to a religious school.  Divertible to religious use -- without
safeguards, unconstitutional.  Missouri could reasonably conclude that a
grant to churches and church schools for playground surfaces would require
safeguards that would indeed entangle the church and the state (how do you
enforce the restriction on religious instruction on the playground in a
pre-school?)  So, whether or not the grant would ultimately violate the
First Amendment, it would present a problem of direct government support
for religious instruction, and Missouri wants to avoid that federal and
state constitutional problem.  There's the play in the joints.  This is not
how Missouri argued this case below, but it is how it should argue in the
Supreme Court.

2.  Alan's massive package of church-state separation policies -- each one
has to be evaluated retail.  And, for starters, the regulatory immunities
he suggests -- e.g., Need not comply with 1) many land use regulations that
secular institutions must obey;  2) any government regulation unless the
regulation was determined to be the least restrictive means of furthering a
compelling state interest; and 3) many generally applicable
anti-discrimination laws -- cannot possibly be justified under the
Establishment Clause.  They all prefer religious entities over analogous
secular entities (e.g., a secular pre-school or day care center) without
any demonstration that the immunity is necessary to, or even related to,
freeing the religious entity from restrictions on its ability to carry out
its religious mission.

Bottom line -- direct financial aid has to be disconnected from religious
mission.  Accommodations have to remove distinctively religious burdens,
and therefore permit the  private accomplishment of religious mission (not
just make it cheaper to carry out; if that is all that is happening, that
would be impermissible aid), as well as not inflict significant harm on
third parties, which some of Alan's proposed immunities would do.  These
are all Establishment Clause principles reflected in the current law, are
they not?

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Volokh, Eugene <vol...@law.ucla.edu>
wrote:

>                Two quick question for list members about Trinity Lutheran,
> if I might.  Say that the government offered grants to schools and day care
> centers, on a largely nondiscretionary basis, for the following:
>

>                1.  Removing potentially cancer-causing asbestos.
>

>                2.  Retrofitting for earthquake safety.
>

>                3.  Hiring security guards to prevent gang violence (and
> intercede in mass shootings and the like).
>

>                4.  Eradicating mosquitos on the property that carry some
> dangerous virus (e.g., West Nile Virus).
>

> (Assume all the grants came with the usual penalties for misuse of state
> funds, including criminal penalties for willful misuse.)  But say that the
> government expressly stated that religious institutions – and thus the
> children who go to those institutions – can’t benefit from such grants.
>

>                If you think that the exclusion in Trinity Lutheran is
> constitutional, do you think all these exclusions would be, too?
>

>                If you think that the exclusion in Trinity Lutheran is
> actually mandated by the First Amendment, do you think all these exclusions
> would be, too?
>

>                Eugene

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg