Here's what's happened in this very confusing case.  Warning:  It's not
very comprehensible.  But what is clear is that no court has (thus far)
actually adjudicated any *substantive *dispute, on the merits, about any
state or federal constitutional question:

1.  The cheerleaders of the Kountze Independent School District (KISD)
have traditionally constructed and displayed "run-through" banners that
KISD players tear through as they storm the field before every game.  For
years, the cheerleaders have placed inspirational religious messages on the
banners, often based on Bible verses, e.g.:

“A lion, which is strongest among beasts and turns not away from any.”
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
“If God is for us, who can be against us?”
“But thanks be to God which gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

2.  Freedom from Religion Foundation sent a letter to KISD, arguing that
the practice violates the EC.  The District, apparently without conceding
the FRF constitutional claim prohibited the signs, at least for the purpose
of heading off an FRF lawsuit.

3.  The cheerleaders then sued the District, under the *State *Constitution
free speech and free exercise clauses, and obtained a P.I.

4.  The District then determined that the EC does not bar the practice, and
rescinded its prohibition on the display of religious messages, while
continuing to assert that it has an "unfettered" authority to prohibit the
content of such signs.

5. At this point, on summary judgment, the trial court issued a
"declaratory" judgment, agreed to by *both *the District and the
cheerleaders, that in relevant part states “[n]either the Establishment
Clause nor any other law prohibits the cheerleaders from using
religious-themed banners at school sporting events.”  (Again:  *Neither *party
argued that the EC does bar such banners.)

6.  After the judgment was issued, the cheerleaders claimed that the order
effectively confirmed their state constitutional right to speak -- that it
is private speech -- but District officials insisted that it only resolved
the EC question, and that the court had not precluded the district from
theoretically limiting the content of the banners, because it is
government-controlled speech.  Because of this dispute, the cheerleaders
apparently took an interlocutory appeal, although it's not at all obvious
what they were appealing *from*, since they approved of the trial court's
declaratory order.

*7.  *The *only *issue the Texas Supreme Court decided is that the case is
not moot.  It did not reach the merits of the state law free speech and
free exercise claims, let alone opine on the lurking Establishment Clause
question.:

http://www.txcourts.gov/media/1284936/140453.pdf

(One Justice, concurring separately, signaled that she would rule for the
cheerleaders on their own constitutional claims, and/or in defense to a
hypothetical EC claim:  http://www.txcourts.gov/media/1284938/140453c2.pdf)

8.  So what's to do on remand?  Who knows?  One of the Texas Supreme Court
judges, concurring, wrote:  "My concern is that this case may return to the
trial court for a final decision only to reappear on our docket with no
clarity as to what this order achieves and what claims are actually live.
If that situation arises, the parties and trial court would do well to
confront the shadowy place in this litigation and clarify with precision
the status of this order and the cheerleaders’ claims."