Steve Jamar is absolutely right, and the Texas Supreme Court is quite
wrong.  Cheers uttered, and banners carried, by cheerleaders during a
public high school football game are school sponsored speech. Does anyone
on the list think the First Amendment would bar the school from ordering
cheerleaders not to carry a sign that said "Feel the Bern -- beat Austin
HS!"?  The school is responsible for the content of these banners, and a
school sponsored banner that reads "“I can do all things through Christ,
who strengthens me,” as one of them did, is a violation of the
Establishment Clause.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Steven Jamar <stevenja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Seems to me there is an establishment problem here.  Cheerleaders are
> sponsored by the school and are displaying religious messages to a captive
> audience who could choose to forego attending the game or else putting up
> with the religious banners.
>
> Has the free speech approach become so dominant that stopping such
> displays becomes content-based discrimination and avoiding establishing
> religion doesn’t meet strict scrutiny as a reason to infringe on such
> speech?
>

> https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/texas-top-court-sides-with-cheerleaders-in-bible-banner-suit/2016/01/29/0939bbce-c6b7-11e5-b933-31c93021392a_story.html
> --
> Prof. Steven D. Jamar
> Howard University School of Law
> vox:  202-806-8017
> fax:  202-806-8567
> http://sdjlaw.org
>
> Two quotes from Louis Armstrong:
> "You blows who you is."
> "If ya ain't got it in ya, ya can't blow it out."

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg