Yes, when the state is singling out a disfavored group and acting to prevent
them from obtaining local protection – or stripping away existing protection –
then that is an equal-protection violation. The NC legislation went out of its
way to explicitly preempt local discrimination ordinances, even as it took
steps to preserve local authority in other areas addressed by the law (for
instance, it preserved certain local wage authority in the minimum-wage portion
of the law). Nothing, as I understand it, prevented the legislature from saying
(1) here are the categories that we protect, but that (2) nothing prevents
local jurisdictions from protecting additional groups.

Let me tweak my race-discrimination hypo for a moment:

It’s 1963, and Charlotte’s civil-rights activists are urging the city to pass a
law prohibiting employers and public accommodations from discriminating on the
basis of race. North Carolina, responding to pressure from organizations with
religious objections to the mixing of the races, and seeking to ensure that
African-Americans do not obtain any civil-rights protections at the local
level, passes a law prohibiting religious discrimination and expressly
prohibiting local entities from barring any other category of discrimination,
including discrimination on the basis of race.

Constitutional?

On Apr 1, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Will Esser